So, today I’m taking a different approach, instead of blogging about books, poetry or gaming, I’m going to blog about how we think. Another fascinating subject! And something I may add periodically to this blog since I am a bit obsessed with how we think and feel. What I am going to call Friday’s Fundamental Fancies!
Today I’m reading something about how people take compliments or how we do NOT take compliments and it really got me thinking. When someone compliments you, do you give an excuse for yourself, or do you thank them and smile?
I do this very same thing! How do I help myself to enjoy those compliments? Does this only happen in America where we think it’s better to be humble than to accept that someone really likes us, or thinks we look or do something well? Instead of accepting their compliment as a perception of us, whether I think it’s true or not, we’ve basically just called the person an idiot and we’re saying they do not know what they are talking about! Is it not better to thank that person and genuinely believe that they think we’re great, because we ARE great?!
And why is it bad to feel like you’re fabulous, you are the only YOU out there! Certainly this person complimenting you has figured that out and is letting you know, now to let yourself know!
I will part you on this Friday with my favorite quote by Marianne Williamson:
“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, ‘Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?’ Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us; it’s in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”
Now get out there and rule the world and enjoy those compliments because you ARE wonderful!
- Nelson Nelson Mandela inaugural speech written by Marianne Williamson (broadcastinspiration.wordpress.com)
- Acceptance – “You are beautiful” (http://itsdstndx0.blogspot.com/)
- Day Seventy Nine..#Our Deepest Fear (originalapplejunkie.wordpress.com)
- Who are you not to be? (lookgoodfeelgood2012.wordpress.com)
- Our Deepest Fear (logcabinstories.wordpress.com)
- Be the greatest you! (lookingtothesky.wordpress.com)
- Let Your Light Shine (abishekjain.wordpress.com)
- Our deepest fear is not t… (dawnwaldron.wordpress.com)
- Our Deepest Fear: Marianne Williamson (sonfeld.wordpress.com)
- Our Deepest Fear- Marianne Williamson (smilemejia.wordpress.com)
- Powerful Beyond Measure (creativeinsideout.com)